Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Run 52: Queensgate



Which number are we on?  I’d say that I’ve lost track but all I have to do is consult my spreadsheet.  If you know me, you know that “checking the spreadsheet” is pretty much my M.O.  Queensgate is number 40.  Twelve to go!

Queensgate is a commercial-industrial neighborhood just west of Downtown, before you get to the Price Hills.  Because it is situated between the neighborhoods where I have worked in for the past six years (Price Hill and Downtown), I know it well.  It has often been my go-to spot for gas, a Frisch’s Diet Coke, and other lunch break errands.  FYI:  the world’s sweetest bank tellers work at the 5/3 Bank Queensgate Branch. 

We started our run from the gateway sign on the median of West Eighth Street.  Nearby, are a few office buildings, a hotel, a gas station, a car lot, and a handful of fast food restaurants.  


We made a loop around Gest and Linn Streets, where we ran alongside some railroad tracks past a couple food service distribution centers.  As I was researching what we should see on our Queensgate route, I learned that prior to an urban renewal project in the 1960s, Queensgate was part of the West End neighborhood.  Aging residential structures were cleared, leaving a large swath of land for commercial and industrial uses.



I thought these Butternut Bread trucks looked so pretty:



We also got a chance to get an up-close look at the old Hudepohl Brewing Company factory:


My favorite part of this little loop around Gest Street was spending some time with the Museum of Natural History’s Wooly Mammoth statues.  The statues stand in front of an unmarked building that we only later learned is the museum’s Geier Collections and Research Center.  Posing with them, I felt like Reese Witherspoon in Water for Elephants.  Minus the leotards.  And the acrobatic skills.  And Robert Pattinson. 
Yeah, basically I just felt like myself leaning against a fiberglass elephant.  


Next we ran down West Eighth Street past the Cincinnati Firefighters Union, which is adorned with a new ArtWorks mural:

We turned down Dalton, and saw some of the first fall leaves on the ground:

We headed toward Union Terminal, but on the “out” part of this out-and-back, ran through the tunnel that passes beneath the museum.  I’ve driven through the tunnel before, but this was my first time passing through as a pedestrian. 
 

While I was trying not to trip over myself in the dark, Donnie kept shouting at me to take a picture of his glow-in-the-dark shoes:

“Did you get ‘em?  Are they glowing?  Did you get ‘em? … Hey, did you get ‘em?”
(Donnie's edit: She didn't get them.)
Further down on Dalton Street, we ran past the Samuel Hannaford & Sons Post Office.  This 1930s building is an Art Deco masterpiece. 
 

We turned around at the very end of Dalton Street, just past this pepper.  The pepper made me nostalgic for New Mexico: 

Running back up Dalton Street, we cut up Kenner in order to check out Union Terminal—officially The Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal.  Everyone knows that the building was originally built as a passenger train station.  What I didn’t know until I read the Wikipedia page on this building is that in the late 1970s, it was converted into a shopping mall called “The Land of OZ”, complete with a roller rink and bowling alleys.  There was a Loehmann’s store in the rotunda until 1985! 
 

I have a distinct memory of being on a fourth grade field trip at the Museum Center, sitting on these benches, eating a bag of sour cream and onion chips and a pack of Rolos out of my sack lunch. Clearly 1992 was prime time for encouraging kids to eat healthy lunches.  

On the way back to West Eighth, we passed the Cincinnati Job Corps Center.  Job Corps offers academic and career education, and the building itself—a former convent—is rumored to be haunted. 

Queensgate is not a neighborhood where we would normally think to run.  However, on a Saturday morning, the traffic was light and we were able to get in 6 + miles with lots of long, flat straight-aways. 
View the full route with mile markers here:  http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=528580
 
-K.

No comments:

Post a Comment