Saturday, September 7, 2013

Run 52: Northside



The past few times we’ve been to Northside, it has been to eat tacos. My personal favorite is Django, but there is also Tacocracy, and Barrio. 

And Taco Bell.  But I wouldn’t drive all the way to Northside for that.
This morning’s trip to Northside was a bit healthier.  We started our run from the Comet, where we listen to bluegrass on Sunday evenings about once year. I would like to go more often, but my Sunday evenings are typically reserved for an episode of Tia and Tamera, a square of dark chocolate, and a half-glass of red wine.  
 

 

So we ran down Hamilton, past some of the beautiful old buildings.  This  first house always reminds me of a place I saw once in Tucson, Arizona:  
 
 
 
 
Look at the carvings on this old Cincinnati Bell building.  Anyone know what this building is today?

In the business strip on Hamilton we ran past a few of our other favorite Northside destinations, including vegetarian-friendly Melt, the Northside Tavern, and Take the Cake. 
Cincinnati Magazine featured Picnic and Pantry in their story on the best neighborhood shops, but I have yet to visit. 

I love this little sunburst storefront between the carryout and an appliance store:

Next, Donnie took a quick loop around the Jacob Hoffner Park before we turned down Blue Rock to get a close up of the American Can Factory, which is an old factory repurposed into modern and energy-efficient loft apartments.
 
 
 
From there, we hopped onto the peaceful Millcreek GreenwayTrail, which picks runs along the Millcreek and ends at Salway Park, across from Spring Grove Cemetery. 
 
 
 
This trail is amazing—flat and scenic, sunny, just wide enough.  A nod to industry on one side and nature on the other.  It sort of reminded me of the Monon in Indianapolis.  If I lived in Northside this would definitely be on my daily route.  We did our Northside run on Labor Day morning and lots of runners, bikers, and dog walkers were out enjoying their day off.
 


One of my favorite sites on the trail was seeing where Captain Tom parks all of his ice cream trucks.  A few summers ago, I would constantly hear “Do Your Ears Hang Low” tinkling from his trucks.  All.  Day.  Long.  I would hear it from my office window all day at work and then I would come home and hear it all evening.  I eventually wrote him an email asking him to turn it down or find another song.
Starting an email with “Dear Captain Tom” was not one of my finest moments, but it was making me insane.


Leaving the trail, we looped around on Spring Grove Avenue, past the old Liberty Tire building and the Northside sign nearby:
 

Nearby, is the amazing organization Visionaries + Voices, which houses studio and exhibition space for artists with disabilities:
 

Before heading back to the Comet, we made a loop around the residential blocks at Chase, Pitts, and Pullan.  These blocks have some of my favorite qualities in a residential neighborhood: colorful houses on narrow lots close to the street, big ash trees growing between the street and the sidewalk, people walking holding cups of coffee.  Subarus in the driveways.
 
 
 

There is so much to like about Northside.  It is known for being progressive, creative, and diverse; for having active and engaged residents; and for its successful small businesses.  It's known for its Fourth of July parade, its tacos, and its bluegrass music on Sunday nights.  And for being a really great place to run.
 
View the full route with mile markers here:  http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=525319
 
 
-K.

No comments:

Post a Comment