Friday, February 15, 2013

Route #8: Columbia Tusculum


Admittedly we could run to Columbia Tusculum since it’s less than a half mile from our home. However, to maximize the time and miles we spend in the neighborhood, we will start this route by driving the short distance to Alms Park and parking on the circle drive. We’ll run through the hilly, windy roads and then down Stanley towards the dense, hillside residential neighborhood known for its Victorian “Painted Ladies.”

We’ll cut across Columbia Parkway to check out the neighborhood’s floodplain Historic District which includes Hamilton County’s oldest continuously occupied home (the Morris House at 3644 Eastern Avenue) as well as the Carnegie Center, which is a former Carnegie Library turned into an events venue and community space.

Once we have explored the low-lying Historic District, we’ll head back across Columbia Parkway towards Delta and then run up and down Golden Avenue, stopping to enjoy the view of the river from Anderson Park.

Simply due to its proximity to our home, we’ve spent quite a bit of time in Columbia Tusculum. We’ve had more than our share of mediocre meals at Allyn’s and three or four fabulous ones at Green Dog Café. I drive through this neighborhood every single day on my way to and from work and I feel like I know it pretty well: it has a yoga studio, a fitness center, a community garden, a Starbucks, and a place to use my Speedway Gas Rewards card. What more could you ask for?

And yet, I feel like I know Columbia Tusculum only by car: just driving through it on my way to somewhere else, or parking and heading directly into a restaurant. This will be my first experience with Columbia Tusculum on foot and I know this run will be a good indicator of the neighborhood’s livability.

See the full map with mile markers at my USA Track and Field Saved Route.


-Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment