Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Race 52: Go OTR 5k

Kayla and I have run the OTR 5k for each of the last three years.

Kayla didn’t run this year, as she is still on the mend, but she didn't seem to mind spectating and checking out the City Flea while I warmed up.


Each year we've had a great time as the OTR 5k combines a race and a festival into one event. Typically all of this takes place on a beautiful May morning. (This year it was overcast and drizzling, but that actually made for good running weather).
 
Another change from the usual was the shift in the race's headquarters from the Gateway Quarter to Washington Park. This was a change for the better, as there was even more space to enjoy the festivities, including the Cincy Brass, a Hudepohl beer truck, and some guy with bubble-making sticks.
 

The Race

I wasn’t sure what to expect from a racing standpoint. My last 5k attempt--the Bockfest 5k in February--was a total disaster. As I do before races, I scanned the starting are for any familiar faces.

I didn't see anybody I recognized, but there was one guy with a track foot tattooed on his thigh, so I figured he would give me a good run.

With the headquarters shifted west to Washington Park, the new start line was on Elm Street just south of  Magnolia slightly down from the City Gospel Mission.

Before the masses of runners migrated from Washington Park, I was warming up across from the CGM as a group of residents went about their Saturday morning routine. If you've spent anytime on Elm Street, especially in the summer, you know that the block encompassing CGM is a neighborhood gathering place, where people bring out lawn chairs, sit on stoops, and otherwise enjoy their shady surroundings.

As the start of the race drew nearer, the 1,100 runners pushed their way up Elm Street, seeming to swallow up the Saturday morning regulars.

Kayla's picture of the start line captures the density of the participants:
 

When the race set off, I quickly found myself in the middle of the masses, as a group of over-eager sprinters decided to charge forward at full speed. 


I wasn't too concerned about getting my butt kicked over the first few meters and by the first turn onto Twelfth Street, I was pretty much alone in first place. 

From there I was able to enjoy my favorite part of the race, which is the crowd support from throughout the neighborhood.  Along Main Street people were yelling from their apartment windows as others had come down to the street to show support. 

For the first time that I can remember, in addition to a lead biker, there was also a lead "Segwayer" as I made my way to the first mile marker.

The crowd support continues along Central Parkway as cars headed in the opposite direction honk and folks who are at the coffee emporium cheer as well. 

By the final mile, I was pretty confident that the victory was sealed, so I took in the scenery along Race and enjoyed the final push. 


After the race, Kayla and I shared a Christian Moerlein OTR and listened to music. 


While racing is always a good time, it is about time to get back to our regular Run 52 schedule. Fortunately, Kayla has made it up to 4 miles of running, so it is only a matter of time before we hit the streets of East Price Hill!


No comments:

Post a Comment