Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Verdict is Just

I went to the sports medicine doc on Thursday.  I had to take an hour off work and drive through a downpour to get there but I was excited because I was feeling about 98% better and hoping for good news.

I had picked Tri-State Orthopedic which is connected to FitWorks and has its own physical therapy room.  I was fully expecting that the doctor would try to sell me on physical therapy sessions and put up a fight when I refused an x-ray, but neither of these things happened.  These guys were so good.  I got to see both a doctor and a nurse practitioner who just listened for a long time to my symptoms and history and affirmed the diagnosis that I had come up with:  stress reaction in my pelvis. 
Although twelve days of complete rest had left me almost entirely pain free, we settled on a plan that includes two more weeks of no running (for a total of one month).  Over the next two weeks I’m free to walk and do pilates or yoga.  They said I could swim, but that’s not going to happen.  Mainly because I don’t really know how to swim for exercise, but also because none of my bathing suit attire is actually meant for the pool. 
After two weeks I can try to jog a mile.  Slowly. If I have any pain or discomfort I need to take more time off. Then I can add three minutes or a half mile every day as long as I’m pain free.  He said I should be back to where I was in six more weeks, which will put me at eight weeks from the onset of the problem.  Not bad, especially since I was able to avoid crutches this time.
Knowing what the answer would be before the words even came out of my mouth, I asked if I could run the races that I had planned for April and May.  The doctor said it would be fine if I was willing to go slow and not put in the intensity.  Which might as well mean “no.”  So I won’t be running the Rat Race, the Little Kings Mile, or the Go OTR 5K. The only one I had prepaid was the Little Kings Mile so I’m only out about $30.
Of course, we discussed the reason I got this stress reaction (increased intensity and duration, possibly overcompensating from the sprained ankle I had after the Carthage run) and how to avoid the problem again in the future (get back on calcium supplements, take at least two days off running every week, give myself at least one day a week of complete rest).  They doctor told me I was “smart and reasonable” for a runner, which I think meant that I never tried to run through the pain and that I’m willing to take the time off necessary to heal completely and not prolong the issue.  He also said that now that I’m “getting older” my body won’t recover from high intensity runs as quickly as it did five or ten years ago.  Ha! 
Oh, and the nurse practitioner adjusted my leg length with a little pushing and tugging, which put me back in place.  
I’m disappointed that I’ll miss some of the most beautiful running weather and foliage that Cincinnati has to offer (this is the blossoming week—the trees are just gorgeous!).  However, I think we’ll be able to finish Run 52 this year if this recovery goes as planned and we double up for a couple months.

Not sure how to illustrate this post, so here is a picture of me writing it:

 
 
Obviously, I got fixed up for the occasion. 
 
Also, Mel and Nick, I'm sure you have more important things to do today than read this blog, but in case you read it later, I can't wait to watch you guys tie the knot tonight!  So excited for you!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment