Saturday, April 27, 2013

Trail 52: The idea of trail running and Ault Park


Yeah, I know. This is my first post in a while. So here I am showing my commitment to the project as Kayla recuperates (just another week or so and we should be charging forward through East Price Hill!). After a little hamstring set back, I've returned to running, but not with much purpose.

I decided to demonstrate my commitment to Run 52 by doing something that I normally don't do: going on a trail run. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of trail running, its the practice that bothers me. I like the idea of trail running in the same way that I like the idea of all of these other noble things that I don't/rarely do:

- Reading Moby Dick
- Listening to classical music
- Eating a vegan diet
- Learning calculus
-Going to Wrigley Field
-Making sushi
-Shopping at Findlay Market
-Using reusable dish towels
-Breaking out the saxaphone 
-Seeing plays
-Watching the PBS news hour
-Polishing my boots
-Making smoothies
-Watching Mad Men
-Getting certified in CPR
-Watching the NBA
-Changing the oil in my car
-Celebrating the solstice

The list goes on....

For me the problem has always been the disconnect between the idea and the practice. My idea of trail running features visions of me leaping over fallen trees, tip-toeing through creeks, and charging up muddy slopes. My practice of trail running has never included any of those things. Instead, I fall over trees, wade through water, and slide backwards down muddy hills.
Still, I enjoyed this morning's trail run quite a bit. So here are a few tips for trail running, and maybe life, too:

#1: Wear your regular old running shoes: do you own bowling shoes?



#2: Proceed with caution.



#3: Watch for stumps at the top of rocky stairways leading to the bottom of sharp downhills.





#4 Follow the signs unless you like getting lost. If you like getting lost tell someone where you're going.



#5 Cross broken bridges.


#6 Even if the crossing becomes precarious,



and you’re not really running anymore.


#8 Beware the tree monster!



#9 Stop to look at the nice retention creek, but don't inhale!



#10 Enjoy the flat stretches.







#11 And the graffiti. 




#12 Oregon Trail rules: Ford every creek!




#13 Go ahead and have a PBR if you want, but throw it away!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning! I saw your link up in Kelly's Korner, and was surprised to see Cincinnati, OH. I'm in Dayton, a runner, (running the Pig next weekend!)...small world!
    http://bestiescook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with the Pig, Katie, and thanks for checking out our blog!

    ReplyDelete