Saturday, March 30, 2013

Lunch in Covington: Not a Run and Not a 52


So now I'm feeling a bit injured.  Like the miles I put in over the weekend plus the hill repeats I did on Tuesday have put a limp in my gait.
 
Or maybe I'm just coming down with a case of hypochondria. 
 
Either way, better safe than sorry.  My running goals this year are: 1) Finish Run 52, and 2) Break 20 minutes in a 5k.  Neither of those are likely to happen if I have to take three months off because of over-training. So my plan is to sit out for a week and then return with a vengeance.
 
With a suddenly free Saturday on our hands, we hit the open road:
 
 
 
 
We wanted to try Silverglades for lunch, but it was closed.  Instead, we wound up getting to-go orders from my favorite spot on Court Street.  Not the new Mexican Grill being advertised with the flags and the sidewalk sign, but the quaint little sandwich shop behind it which Donnie likes to call "Le Soob Way". 
 

 
 
What can I say?  I could eat it every day and there have been periods in my life where I have, in fact. 
 
We crossed the Roebling and headed into Covington:
 

 
 
I love the Ascent.  Love. Love. Love.
 

 
 
 
 
Taking a recommendation from Emily Lee (who seriously impressed us last night with her cooking skills, btw) we took our sandwiches down to the park in the Licking Riverside Historic District
 
Obviously, this neighborhood is not one of the 52 Cincinnati neighborhoods that are the subject of our running challenge.  Still, we had never been here and it made a great side trip for a recovery day. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The riverside mansions have a distinctly Southern character. 
 
 
 
 
From a park bench, we watched preparations taking place for an afternoon wedding and saw a Chihuahua barely escape being run over by a horse-drawn carriage.  We also had a great view of Downtown and could see the Great American Ball Park getting warmed up for Opening Day:
 

 
 
 
Four hours later, Donnie said, "You know what?  I don't know if I could live in that neighborhood because I'd always be worried about dead bodies washing up on shore." 
 
Really?  That's what you think about?
 


 
 
He also told me today that taking dietary advice from me would be like taking dietary advice from "Bart the Fart." 
 
Clearly there is some substantive conversation going on at our place.
 
We'll be back next week with East Price Hill!
 
 
-Kayla
 


No comments:

Post a Comment