Friday, March 1, 2013

Route #10: CUF

www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=508437 CUF is a jagged puzzle piece of a neighborhood made up of three sub-entities (Clifton Heights, University Heights, and Fairview). Like Corryville my experience in CUF has been somewhat unconscious. That is to say, I spend a lot of time walking from my car to class without realizing I’m in CUF.

For the second time we will start from Burnet Woods. This time the run won’t start until we’ve crossed Clifton and are standing at the intersection of Dixmyth and Clifton. This is the CUF/Clifton border. This is also the site of the Clifton Community Garden, which was the brainchild of John Hemmerle and Will Lambeth. The garden is a little landmark that I always note whenever I am on a run through Clifton, because to me it represents how individuals can shape their surroundings with a little commitment.

We’ll follow Dixmyth to where it meets MLK and then wind our way down a nice long hill. We’ll try to enjoy this downhill as later on we’ll have to climb one of the most challenging hills in the city. That aforementioned hill is Straight Street--the site of the annual Straight Street Hill Climb, which is held in the fall. In a city that is known for its hills, Straight Street is one of Cincinnati's prized possessions. This race is also notable because 2012 champion, Javan Lapp, is my friend, fellow training partner, and co-executive of the College of Law Running Club. Straight Street should provide for some great pictures.

The next notable site is Fairview Park, which sits on the hillside and overlooks downtown. I’ve run through this park but never stopped to take it all in.

Next, Warner street is a must see. It doesn’t just bear my last name, but it also serves as the site of my preferred law school parking spot. Also, there’s just something reassuring about coming down the hill and seeing your surname on a street sign; its way more comforting than seeing it on a cable box (Time Warner), or at the end of a Tv show (Warner Brothers Productions). 

After I’ve bored Kayla with my ramblings about the existential significance of street signs we’ll have arrived at Bellevue Park. Apparently, Bellevue was once the gateway to Clifton from Over-The-Rhine, as a set of steps lead up from Elm Street.

From Bellevue Park we will trace back along Warner and back up through the Fairview section of CUF to the finish. This weekend will also be our first Race 52, which will take place downtown at the Bockfest 5k.

No comments:

Post a Comment