Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Route #13: East Price Hill



I’ve spent a lot of time in East Price Hill.  Last Spring and Summer I spent most of my waking hours there when my office at Santa Maria moved from Lower Price Hill to a newly renovated space on Price Avenue in the Incline District.  From there, I was able to walk the Bayou Fish House and the Corner BLOC Coffee Shop and keep an eye on the construction taking place at the Incline Village. 
We’ll start our East Price Hill run from the Incline Public House, where I had a fabulous mushroom and pesto pizza along with a Rivertown Hop Bomber a few weeks ago.  We were thrilled at how busy the place was on a Saturday night, but with a view like this, we shouldn’t have been surprised:
 


(Please pardon the blur.) 
Before the Public House opened its doors, Primavista had the best view in town.  The Public House’s patio offers an even better vantage point. We’ll run down Mt. Hope past Wilson Commons before taking Purcell to Mt. Echo Park. 
A few summers ago I was spending every lunch break studying for my Organizational Psychology class on Mt. Echo’s gorgeous pavilion, which was less than a mile from my office in Lower Price Hill. I would east my peanut butter sandwich and apple while reclining (somewhat uncomfortably) against a pillar. One day I walked back to my car to find that I had been given a ticket for failure to display a front license plate.  I guess it was only a matter of time.
From Mt. Echo, we’ll take West 8th Street to the Imago Earth Center.  I’ve never been to Imago, and I’m hoping that the public trails are open our visit.  If so, we’ll try to incorporate a mile or two.  Next, we’ll run up to St. Joseph Cemetery and try to make a loop inside the gates. 
We’ll run back to the Incline via Price Avenue, hopefully stopping briefly to wave hello to my former home away from home, Santa Maria Community Services' Price Hill Financial Opportunity Center. 
I feel like I know East Price Hill as well as I know any neighborhood in the city.  I know that it has great views, beautiful parks, a great library, and good restaurants.  When co-workers asked if I’ve ever consider moving to the neighborhood my response was always a sheepish, “I don’t know where I’d run….” 
We’re about to find out.
Check out the full route with mile markers here:  http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=509455

 

No comments:

Post a Comment